Date:      Sun, 20 Jun 1999 08:02:28 -0700
From:      Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
To:        David McNett <nugget@slacker.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Linux compat [was Re: Linux not FreeBSD?]

In message <19990616102624.A89278@dazed.slacker.com>, David McNett
writes:
> > > Yep.
> >
> > OK, so who's to stop us from hacking the linuxulator until Sybase
> > works?
>
> Sybase ASE for Linux runs just fine in linux emulation.  The current
> license for ASE for Linux, however, specifically does not allow for this.
>
> It is quite likely that this will not be the case for the next release
> of ASE for Linux, although I'm not at liberty to discuss the specifics
> of the situation.  Suffice to say, there is little need to petition
> Sybase to change thier policy at this time, the relevant people at
> Sybase are well aware of the needs of the FreeBSD community.

I think we ought to make it a point to educate vendors that in the
grand scheme of things that FreeBSD is just as free as Linux.  All the
vendors need to remember when writing licensing agreements for their
products is that FreeBSD = Linux.

Please, no moronic comments about BSD v.s. GNU license.  It is not the
topic this time around.

Open Systems Group          Internet:  Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca
ITSD                                   Cy.Schubert@gems8.gov.bc.ca
Province of BC