Date:      Sun, 12 Mar 2000 23:09:07 GMT
From:      mike@sentex.net (Mike Tancsa)
To:        ryan@sasknow.com (Ryan Thompson)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Funny routing problem...

On 11 Mar 2000 16:18:32 -0500, in sentex.lists.freebsd.questions you wrote:

>Ryan Thompson wrote to freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG:
>
>Growl... This will be a LONG message. :-)  Since I haven't had any replies
>yet, I suppose I'll include some more details.  This is an extremely
>simple office network.  Am I doing something wrong, here?

It would be easier for all to read if you just used the real IP addresses
of 139.142.245.whatever instead of the xxxes.

If the internal machine has as its interface an RFC1918 address, and the
default gateway is is also on an RFC1918 address, the packet is going to
leave the box as a RFC1918 address, so the outside world will not know how
to get back to the address. e.g. try
traceroute www.yahoo.com
and
traceroute -s 139.142.245.1 www.yahoo.com

Also, please post the routing tables from all three machines.

	---Mike
Mike Tancsa  (mdtancsa@sentex.net)
Sentex Communications Corp,
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
"Given enough time, 100 monkeys on 100 routers
could setup a national IP network." (KDW2)