Date:      Wed, 10 Jan 2001 10:48:44 -0500
From:      "Matthew Emmerton" <matt@gsicomp.on.ca>
To:        <Anthony.Ettinger@mPower.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: configuring apache jserve (gnu make not found)

[ Please post in plain text, *not* HTML ]

>>> I'm getting an error when trying to configure ApacheJServ-1.1.2
>>> I downloaded the source and these are the parameters I'm using to
>>> configure jserv:

>>First, why not use the version in the ports
>>(/usr/ports/www/apache-jserv)?

>how would I go about using the optional configure parameters?

Modify the Makefile to add or change those which you need added/changed.

>>>You need to specify --prefix=/usr/local in order for configure to find
>>>gmake in /usr/local/bin/gmake.

>the --prefix attribute is used to specify where you want jserv to be
installed, so ommitting the "jserv" >portion of it, I assume would install
all the files to the directory /usr/local/.

Your understanding of --prefix is incorrect.  It doesn't specify a directory
into which all files are installed, it specifies a directory _prefix_.  (For
example, binaries are installed to ${PREFIX}/bin or ${PREFIX}/sbin.)  This
directory prefix is also used to search for files outside of "standard"
directories.  (For example, when searching for gmake, configure will search
in /bin, /usr/bin, and ${PREFIX}/bin.  If you've used '--prefix
/usr/local', then it will find gmake in /usr/local/bin.)

Judging from what you want to give configure, you have a rather custom
filesystem layout under /usr/local.  (Most sites have 'common' directories
under /usr/local.  On my systems, I have bin, etc, include, lib, libexec,
man, sbin, share.  You appear to have a directory for each application, such
as /usr/local/apache and /usr/local/jserv.)

In order to use a custom directory layout, you will need to take a look at
'configure --help' and investigate all the path options
(--prefix, --exec-prefix, --bindir, etc) and determine which need to be set
to /usr/local/jserv (where you wish to install) and just plain /usr/local
(so that configure can find tools such as gmake.)  You'll also need to make
sure that certain apache-jserv-specific configure arguments are set properly
so that apache and it's modules can be found
(--libdir, --libexecdir, --with-apxs)

--
Matt Emmerton
GSI Computer Services