Date:      Tue, 19 Nov 1996 13:40:01 -0600
From:      "Eric L. Hernes" <erich@lodgenet.com>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.de>
Cc:        erich@lodgenet.com (Eric L. Hernes), FreeBSD-current@FreeBSD.ORG (FreeBSD current users)
Subject:   Re: cdrom boot?

Greg Lehey writes:

>Are you talking about your management?

Yup.

>> It provides several ways of making a CD bootable, ranging from
>> `total hackery' to `the right way'.  Now doesn't that sound familiar
>> wrt specs? ;-)
>
>Hmm.  I don't understand the format of the documents at www.ptltd.com,
>so I can't read the stuff, but the impression that I got from the c't
>article was that it was pretty straightforward.  They were able to get
>their stuff to boot, anyway.

AFAICR they're pdf's, either the linux acrobat reader from Adobe, xpdf,
or ghostscript4 from ports can print/view them.

>I still think it would be a good selling point for FreeBSD 2.2 to have
>directly bootable CD-ROMs.  I'm sure the guys at Walnut Creek CDROM
>would love it, too.

Yea, I agree.  If you look at the `cookbook' document, the bios
interprets a file on the cdrom as a floppy drive.  That's the simplest,
and the most kludgy.  At a first hack, the install boot image, could
be set up for this and proceed as normal, but I'd be embarrased to
have my name on that hack ;-)  It wouldn't take too much more to
get real bootable support complete with boot blocks and such.
Joerg seemed interested in helping out with what he could last time
we talked on it.  I just discovered that my hardware didn't support
it so there was really no way to test it. :(

>Greg

eric.
--
erich@lodgenet.com