Date:      Sun, 07 Jan 2001 11:12:29 +0900
From:      Masafumi NAKANE <max@wide.ad.jp>
To:        Doug Barton <DougB@gorean.org>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org, asami@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PERL_ARCH

I came to a conclusion that using PERL_ARCH to substitute something
like i386-freebsd in the installation path names for non-perl
programs is a totally wrong idea.  I haven't looked through the
commit logs, so I'm not too certain, but someone probably blindly
replaced i386-freebsd to %%PERL_ARCH%% in the plist when PERL_ARCH
was introduced.

For perl related programs, e.g. perl modules, %%PERL_ARCH%% wokrs
fine depending on the perl version on the system, and bsd.port.mk is
appropriate, I think.

The solution I used was to define something like the following in
the Makefile:

OS!= uname -s | tr A-Z a-z
PLIST_SUB= ARCH=${ARCH} OS=${OS}

and in the plist use %%ARCH%%-%%OS%%, instead.

      Cheers,
Max