Date:      Thu, 06 Aug 1998 08:13:13 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Patrick Gardella <patrick@cre8tivegroup.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   AT&T DjVu for FreeBSD

AT&T recently announced a new compression method for images on the net.  It can
compress a high resolution image file 4-5X smaller than gif or jpeg.

Now what concerns us:
I wrote to them asking them to make a FreeBSD port of this (since they had
Irix, Linux, and Solaris).  In about five hours, they had a FreeBSD port of it!
I was quite impressed, to say the least (See message below).

However, they don't plan to support it "very actively", probably due to the
suspected low requests for it.

If this is something you can use, visit them and voice your support.
http://djvu.research.att.com/home_mstr.htm

They do not have a compressor app for FreeBSD yet, but I would suppose that
this could be done as well fairly quickly.

On a side note, the Linux version does not work on FreeBSD.  It will "run", but
not display the files.  I did not test the Linux plug-in with the Linux
Netscape however.

Patrick Gardella

-----FW: <199808052109.RAA17363@tide.research.att.com>-----