Date:      Sun, 28 Mar 2004 02:39:58 +0100
From:      Michael Nottebrock <michaelnottebrock@gmx.net>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org, pav@freebsd.org
Cc:        Thomas-Martin Seck <tmseck-lists@netcologne.de>
Subject:   Re: treating OPTIONS

--Boundary-02=_xziZACIy6KTckBa

On Sunday 28 March 2004 03:15, Pav Lucistnik wrote:
> V so, 27. 03. 2004 v 21:01, Thomas-Martin Seck p=ED=A8e:
> > * SADA Kenji <sada@freebsd.org> [gmane.os.freebsd.devel.ports]:
> > > .if exists(${LOCALBASE}/lib/libldap.so)
> > > WITH_LDAP=3D      yes
> > > OPTIONS+=3D       LDAP "Support for LDAP queries" on
> > > .else
> > > OPTIONS+=3D       LDAP "Support for LDAP queries" off
> > > .endif
> >
> > Please do not do this. IMHO, ports that autotune themselves are a bad
> > idea and abusing OPTIONS for this is even worse. If you - as the
> > maintainer - decide that LDAP support is optional, default the port to
> > not include it. Period. If the user wants LDAP she can always say so
> > herself, either via the commandline or via 'make config'.
>
> Why not? This is a common practice that port autodetects optional
> dependencies and automatically enable/disable them.

Something I only realised yesterday (hi kris) is that OPTIONS do not just s=
et=20
WITH_FOO but also WITHOUT_FOO, so for autodetecting things you'd have to=20
check .if exists(bar) and !defined WITHOUT_FOO then define WITH_FOO... I'm=
=20
currently changing the KDE ports do do away with autodetection where possib=
le=20
and just enforce config instead. It makes building of customized packagas=20
easier as a side effect.

=2D-=20
   ,_,   | Michael Nottebrock               | lofi@freebsd.org