Date:      Fri, 16 Mar 2001 02:43:48 +0100 (MET)
From:      Harald Schmalzbauer <Harald.Schmalzbauer@gmx.de>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: yet another vinum panic (was How to debug - find error?)

>The error you reported was related to your '/backup' filesystem.  What >is
/backup represented by?  The RAID volume or the vinum/ccd partition?

Its the vinum/ccd

>Are the files you are copying lots of little files or a few really big
>files?

Lots of small (500k)(~500.000) and a view bigger (10M)

>Did you use any special filesystem parameters when you newfs'd your
>machine's filesystems?

For ccd no, for vinum just the obligate -v

>There are all sorts of possible sources to the problem unfortunately,
>it may not be possible to easily diagnose it.   It could be the RAID,
>NFS, a bug in the kernel, a bug in the network stack... just about
>anything.  For the last few months I've been trying to track down
>a problem similar to the one you've just reported with little success.

I don't think this is anything other related than to the IDE drives. The
RAID was in operation for half a year without any error, the NFS-Mounts are the
same I do for one year. This panic just occurs if I configure a software
raid.
Everything is working fine when I do the same tests to one of the IDE drives
alone under the same circumstances.

>The first thing I would do, if you haven't already, is upgrade to the
>absolute latest FreeBSD-stable kernel.

I cvusped today and built world today.

Thank you,

-Harry