Date:      Sun, 16 Apr 2000 14:21:36 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
To:        Ilia Chipitsine <ilia@cgu.chel.su>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3.4 -> 4.0

Ilia Chipitsine wrote:

> Dear Sirs,
>
> I guess it has been discussed already, excuse me,
> I'm not subscribed anymore.
>
> Could anyone point me how to buildworld from 3.4 -> 4.0 ?
> I give up !

I thought you were following the instuctions in /usr/src/UPDATING. If
you have cvsup'ed to 4.0-Stable before you being the upgrade, that is
the cookbook. At what point did you give up?

I know I gave up in the "make buildkernel KERNEL=RUBY and make
installkernel KERNEL=RUBY sequence. I would get an error =64 out of
the install. The machine was hosed at that point. I had backed
everything up on tape and did a clean install. Then, I had my first
dat backup failure about 1/3 of the way down the tape and lost most of
my files. There wasn't anything I didn't have backed up somewhere but
on the tape they were installed.

Regards,

Kent

--