Date:      Wed, 7 Mar 2001 12:07:19 +1000
From:      "Doug Young" <dougy@gargoyle.apana.org.au>
To:        <mathieu@amx.dyn.dhs.org>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Devive Timeout with ed0

I've used hundreds of those things successfully in various versions of
FreeBSD / OpenBSD ..
however the model number makes a difference in how simply (or how difficult)
they are to configure. The old 80xx ones are usually detected correctly
unless someone has fiddled with the IRQ setting (in which case you'll need
to run a config tool) or use one of the 2 jumper settings. That usually
works if you don't have a COM2 (IRQ3) or a videocard that hogs IRQ10.

The later 8216 / 8416 are often a pain in FreeBSD (typically require a
kernel compile) but for some reason beyond me they apparently work in
OpenBSD without the kernel bit..