Date:      Thu, 14 Jan 1999 13:16:02 -0000
From:      Paul Richards <paul@originative.co.uk>
To:        "'Warner Losh'" <imp@village.org>, Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD current users <FreeBSD-current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   A closed developers list (follows on from Thanks Core Team)

The problem with committers is that it's not the small group you suggest
it is, it's still an open list, it just hasn't been corrupted in the way
that current has become but it's starting.

I think we should have a closed list for just committers. I can
sympathise with Poul though I don't agree with him. I think the excuse
that it's hard work to get consensus on the open lists is not an excuse
for not consulting the other project members outside of core. However, I
do agree that the open lists have become unmanageable. All of the lists,
committers included which is not supposed to be a discussion forum (!),
have become far too overloaded for comfortable discussion to take place.

Given that there has been some sentiment that core needs to open up a
little bit when it comes to discussing project decisions then those with
commit privs would be the natural group to include in the discussions.
With a closed committers list then the people involved in the main have
a proven track record of active participation and have a vested interest
in what happens to the tree rather than a passive interest from the
sidelines. There's also an element of accountability and manageability
since commit privs are just that, a privilege and can be revoked if a
civil attitude to discussion does not prevail (should apply to core team
members as much as anyone else). I think it would provide a buffer for
core to check consensus and tweak their position before carrying out
actions or pronouncing things to a wider audience. A bit like the
cabinet presenting a discussion to parliament but not letting the people
get involved in every little bit of decision making.

If we do that then I think the current committers list should be shut
off and just used for commit messages. The email load is becoming a big
problem, I find I'm losing discussions and important messages in the
noise that mostly should be in questions or hackers but is permeating to
those lists where the developers hang out in the belief that that's
where the best answer will come from.

Paul.