Date:      Mon, 11 Nov 1996 19:49:06 -0500 (EST)
From:      Mark Mayo <mark@quickweb.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        Ollivier Robert <roberto@keltia.freenix.fr>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ufs is too slow?

On Mon, 11 Nov 1996, Terry Lambert wrote:

> > > internals knowledge to even contemplate doing something like this...
> > > otherwise I would be off writing "newsfs" in a corner somewhere.
> >
> > Just to keep people tuned, James Brister (from ISC, author of INN 1.5 &
> > Innfeed) is considering/working on such a file system. There is some
> > discussion at this moment in the inn-workers list...
>
> Article directory lookup too slow?  ...Use a btree directory structure.

Just curious, how would a NTFS perform in this scenario? As far as I
remember, NTFS allows btree directory structures. Also NTFS allows per
file compression, and "live" partition extension (making a logical drive
spread across multiple disks, or extending the size of a logical partition
on the current disk). It seems to me that NTFS has quite a bit of
functionality, but how does it perform compared to UFS - under the
'general' and extreme cases (such as news).

I personally would love to see support for NTFS in FreeBSD, and although
I'm not saying I have the technical ability to implement it, I think I
might start working on this as a little project in my spare time. File
systems are cool, but I have no experience implementing one. Where should
I start? I'm assuming there must be a few good references out there (I
have a Tanenbaum book on OS's, which covers UFS and Filesystems a little),
and I get the MSDN Enterprise Subscription stuff, so I'm assuming NTFS
must be documented in there somewhere...

Thanks,
-Mark

| Mark Mayo		  mark@quickweb.com       |
| RingZero Comp.  	  vinyl.quickweb.com/mark |
"To iterate is human, to recurse divine."
		- L. Peter Deutsch