Date:      Mon, 4 Feb 2002 10:38:05 -0800
From:      Johnson David <djohnson@acuson.com>
To:        Phillip Rhodes <rhodespc@yahoo.com>, freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: simple upgrade question?

On Friday 01 February 2002 06:53 pm, Phillip Rhodes wrote:
> Hi,
> I am running version 3.4 and want to upgrade.
> Do I just run the /stand/sysinstall that is on my system now, or do I
> download the new version (that I want to upgrade to) and run it's
> sysinstall? Any how-to on upgrading would be appreciated!

I prefer upgrading from source, and the handbook has lots of info on this. If
you don't want to build from source, you can use your current sysinstall if
you first set the correct release name in the options screen.

Ask this question on -questions as well. You find many more people there with
experience in upgrading. There may be numerous tarpits they can help you
avoid that we newbies have never encountered simply because we're newbies.

David