Date:      Sat, 30 May 1998 23:22:59 -0400
From:      "Matthew R. Briggs" <mbriggs@switchboard.net>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   General SMP Instability SNAP-0523

Hello,
	I'm new to FreeBSD, having come from the Debian GNU/Linux camp. I'm
very impressed with what I have seen while working with the CURRENT
snapshot from 0523, but stability has been an issue.  I know that the
CURRENT-3.0 branch is under heavy development, but I only run SMP boxen
and to try FreeBSD out I had to go to CURRENT.
	Here is the issue:  I am able to wedge the system fairly consistently
(and often) with parallel makes of various pieces of software.  Not the
kernel, but "make world -j4" will crash it, as will compilation of
FileRunner from the ports collection (along with a few other things).
The system will lock hard and drop me to the kernel debugger.
	Since I'm new to this, what I'm asking for is a description of what
information I should send to the right people to fix any bugs or to
expose my own ignorance.  Here is the hardware I am using to test things
out:

Tyan Tiger II w/2xPII-333
128MB SDRAM
UDMA IDE disk (flags set to b0ffb0ff)
Matrox Millenium II AGP
PS/2 mouse (though I used an adapter for serial, trying to resolve
conflict with the console...no improvement)
Kingston KNE40T NIC (21040-based)

Thanks for any and all help...I'd really like to get this to work!

Matt Briggs
mbriggs-at-switchboard.net