Date:      20 Sep 2000 17:24:07 -0700
From:      asami@FreeBSD.org (Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami)
To:        Ade Lovett <ade@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        jkh@FreeBSD.org, ports@FreeBSD.org, hetzels@westbend.net
Subject:   Re: PR ports/13649, ports/13650 (conflicts)

 * From: Ade Lovett <ade@FreeBSD.org>

 * The various tcl/tk ports/packages do conflict, however, with
 * significant overlapping of the manual pages for each version.

I know that -- we decided that is ok.  Otherwise, we'll have to rename
all the manpages or something.

 * I've got all three installed right now, since one of my other projects
 * is to try and kill off tcl/tk 8.0 and 8.2 ..

As I've mentioned it in the past, that is a worthy goal but is a
losing proposition, as a new version of tcl/tk is almost guaranteed to
have yet another incompatibility leaving some dependent ports behind.

We've done the same thing with tcl73 and tcl74 and tcl75.  And right
now, we're at the exact same corner.  And the problem is not going to
get any easier with more dependent ports coming in over time.
(Assuming tcl/tk is not going out of vogue.)

This is one reason why I am advocating the "stowage" system with true
files installed in its own prefix and ${PREFIX} just being a symlink
tree.  Dealing with cases like this, with multiple ports installing
interchangable files, will be a snap -- all tcl8* needs to do is to
check for other tcl8* ports during deinstallation and run their
"recreate symlinks" scripts.

Satoshi