Date:      Wed, 18 Oct 2000 13:50:58 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Ken Bolingbroke <hacker@bolingbroke.com>
To:        Rick Hamell <hamellr@heorot.1nova.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CSH Shell

You want to use backticks instead of single quotes, that is, where you
currently have:

 set prompt="'hostname' %"

Change the single quotes to backticks:

 set prompt="`hostname` %"

The backticks tell the shell to execute the command inside them, and
use the output instead.  Single quotes in that context have no special
meaning, which is why you see the literal 'hostname' as your prompt.

Ken