Date:      Tue, 6 Mar 2001 18:27:00 -0800 (PST)
From:      Mikko Tyolajarvi <mikko@dynas.se>
To:        mathieu@amx.dyn.dhs.org
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Devive Timeout with ed0

In local.freebsd.questions you write:

>Hey !

>First, sorry cause I don't speak english very well, I usually speak
>French ! ;p

>I'm trying to install a today 4.2-STABLE snapshot (I also tryed with
>-RELEASE), but I've a problem with my SMC EZ Card ISA card, i'm not able
>to get it working..

>I can see the card in ifconfig -a, and it shows up in dmesg, but if I
>try dhclient ed0, or if I try to setup it myself in SysInstall, it does
>nothing, or I get full of ed0: Device Timeout. I would think the card is
>broken if it wasn't working under Windows... ;p

Sounds like wrong IRQ or I/O port.

>Hehe, I thought I was able to setup a Cable Modem...
>Well... what's going wrong ?

>I\O: 0240-025F
>IRQ: 10

If these are the values the card is configured for, and if you are
using a stock GENERIC kernel, then a suppose problems should be
expected:

From GENERIC:

  device        ed0     at isa? port 0x280 irq 10 iomem 0xd8000

Change to 0x240.  Either rebuild the kernel, or just boot with the -c
flag and change the value from the "configuration editor" or whatever
it is called.

Then check the boot messages (dmesg | grep ed0), to see where/if the
kernel found your card.

   $.02,
   /Mikko
--