Date:      Fri, 19 Jan 2001 16:19:18 -0800
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Matthew Emmerton <matt@gsicomp.on.ca>
Cc:        jim@geekhouse.net, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG, dirk@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: A Newer OpenSSL Port?

--NzB8fVQJ5HfG6fxh

On Wed, Jan 17, 2001 at 08:24:22PM -0500, Matthew Emmerton wrote:

> This being said, is there much hazard in commenting out the FORBIDDEN line
> in the openssl port and doing a 'make clean; make install PREFIX=3D/usr'?

It should work, but we don't support using the openssl port on 4.x
because there would then be two copies on the system and leading to
various conflict possibilities at build/run-time. You can always
install the port yourself locally, but if you're going to submit a
FreeBSD port then you should test it on a vanilla -stable system prior
to submission.

You should be able to safely update just the src/crypto/ and
src/secure/ directories to get openssl 0.9.6 without affecting the
rest of your system, BTW. Generally you can't get away with doing this
sort of thing, but in this case it should work.

Kris

--=20
NOTE: To fetch an updated copy of my GPG key which has not expired,
finger kris@FreeBSD.org

--NzB8fVQJ5HfG6fxh

--NzB8fVQJ5HfG6fxh--