Date:      Tue, 11 Dec 2001 14:59:11 -0600
From:      "Mike Meyer" <mwm-dated-1008536351.4c2495@mired.org>
To:        Nils Holland <nils@tisys.org>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: EzBSD aint for me! Was: A breath of fresh air..

Nils Holland <nils@tisys.org> types:
> The morale of this story: As I said in the beginning, defining something as
> "easy to use" is entirely relative. Furthermore, I doubt that today's
> "Plug-And-Play" anticipation is worth much: There is software you don't
> have to learn, thus you save a few hours of learning it. But what if
> something that requires learning costs you 5 hours to learn, and then saves
> you 30 minutes a day? In the long run, this will probably be the better
> thing.

Stuff with pretty pictures that can be used by illiterates right out
of the box used to be called "user friendly". A friend of mine called
what you've described as "expert friendly". Systems which are "user
friendly" without being flexible - like Windows - are "expert
hostile". Systems which are neither user nor expert friendly, aka MVS,
are "user hostile".

I have nothing against making FreeBSD easier to use or more
"user-friendly". Just so long as changes that make it friendlier don't
make it less stable, less reliable, less secure, or less flexible.

	<mike