Date:      Wed, 10 Feb 1999 09:39:31 -0500 (EST)
From:      Patrick Gardella <patrick@cre8tivegroup.com>
To:        "Thomas T. Veldhouse" <veldy@visi.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: JDK ELF?

On 10-Feb-99 Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:
> Does anybody know when we can expect to get a JDK in ELF format?  I would
> like to ditch my a.out binaries entirely.  It would be nice to build world
> without all that extra stuff.
>
> Tom Veldhouse
> veldy@visi.com

It will be "a while".  The problem we are running into is the Motif Libraries.
Every ELF Motif Kit we've found (and have had donated) are Motif 2.x,
which requires a runtime fee.  We're looking into trying to find a Motif 1.2
license that we can use to create an ELF Motif, and then a JDK.

For those who aren't aware of it, our JDK is statically compiled against a
Motif 1.2 kit, so you don't need Motif installed on your system to work.

We've toyed with the idea of releasing a JDK based on Lesstif, but (with no
disrespect intended to the fine work the Lesstif folks!) it's not
complete/stable enough for this purpose.

So, if someone has a 1.2 license and source for Motif, that you'd be willing to
donate to the cause, we have a Motif developer willing to build an ELF Motif,
so we can release an ELF JDK.

There's also some work that needs to be done to the source to make it ELF
ready.  This is follow-up work once we have the Motif libs.

And of course, we could always use more programmers to come hack on the JDK
sources (specifically experienced in C and FreeBSD)!

Patrick

---
Patrick S. Gardella                    Director of Web Development
The Creative Group    1-800-804-0783 ext 29     606-858-8029 (fax)
http://www.cre8tivegroup.com                 PGP Key ID 0xEE2D47A9