Date:      Wed, 03 Dec 1997 08:45:28 -0700
From:      Sean Kelly <kelly@fsl.noaa.gov>
To:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   What can we do about Java?

I realize a lot of FreeBSD users are old Unix hands who tend to turn
their noses up at even the slightest mention of Java (or any other
coffee product---they tend to like it out of a can with a label like
Folger's Choice with Maxwellian Crystals, percolated until it's burned
through, and taken black with six sugars).

I get paid to do Java now, and despite all the hype it's really a nice
improvement over C++.  My software development times have never been
lower.  Plus, management finds it a great way to leverage their
high-powered Unix developers into developing Windows software, and all
without the kicking, the screaming, and (in some cases) the bleating.

FreeBSD has reached a point where it can almost be called the de facto
standard operating system for Internet servers.  It really is "the Power
to Serve."  A very recent article in Java World

	http://www.javaworld.com/jw-12-1997/jw-12-volanomark.html

acknowledges this fact.  The author writes: ``In particular, good Java
server support in BSD/OS, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, and NetBSD represents a
large chunk of Internet servers to be excluded from Sun's "run anywhere"
claim.''  There are other specific mentions of FreeBSD in the article as
well.

I think it's high time FreeBSD become one of the leading Java runtime
and development platforms.  Our OS is already positioned quite well in
Internet environments and on the desktops of many of us old Unix hands.
I'm aware that some FreeBSD core team members also do paid Java
development with FreeBSD.  I'd like to be able to do that as well with a
high-performance, low-bug Java system.

I've got the enthusiasm (if not the talent), and I want to help.  What
can I do? What can *we* do?

--Sean