Date:      Thu, 29 Apr 1999 06:14:55 +1000
From:      Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
To:        Natty Rebel <dervish@ikhala.tcimet.net>
Cc:        freebsd-small@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: your mail

On Wed, Apr 28, 1999 at 01:17:49PM -0400, Natty Rebel wrote:
> Quoting Sue Blake (sue@welearn.com.au):
> > On Wed, Apr 28, 1999 at 03:16:49PM -0700, Dennis S. Kulikov wrote:
> > >  HI All!
> > >  Does somebody install PicoBSD for i486, i386?
> > > All goes good?
> >
> > My mail/dns/web/router machine is a 386, and it has been working fine
> > for 18 months.
> hi sue,
> do you have an hdd on that box?

Yes, and it's not PicoBSD but it could be, since you can roll your own
PicoBSD using the components of FreeBSD that you need.

If you don't need to run a GUI, even a low end 386 will give surprising
performance with an efficient operating system. Got a 386 handy? Try
any standard issue PicoBSD floppy and see what it's like, bearing in
mind you can build your own floppy if for example you need to choose
different hardware support. It only takes a few minutes to try.

Without a hard disk you could have yourself a nice little router/DNS
machine, or a personal "portable" machine for dialling your ISP, using
only equipment that was long ago written off.

I've found a lot of dying floppy drives on very old machines, maybe
coincidence, but if you do have a spare, hang on to it for peace of
mind in case your luck is similar. My monitors die next, then much
later power supplies, although many creaky old antiques just keep
working year after year.

--

Regards,
        -*Sue*-