Date:      Wed, 29 May 2002 02:41:46 -0700
From:      "Philip J. Koenig" <pjklist@ekahuna.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Roman Neuhauser <neuhauser@bellavista.cz>
Subject:   Re: grep and console width

On 29 May 2002, at 10:34, Roman Neuhauser boldly uttered:

> > From: "Philip J. Koenig" <pjklist@ekahuna.com>
> > Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 01:18:38 -0700
> >
> > On 29 May 2002, at 9:47, Roman Neuhauser boldly uttered:
> > >     No. It's not grep, it's ps(1). see the w option.
> >
> > (On a somewhat related note, I found recently that occasionally in
> > certain programs, ie mutt, text *appears* to be formatted for 80
> > cols, but wraps anyway.  IE with the help file in mutt (older version
> > that needs to be upgraded) there appears to be an "indent" on the
> > left side of the text that causes this.  I have to set the console to
> > 132 cols to make it readable)
>
>     mutt wraps the text according to your terminal width. if you set
>     COLS to 132, but your terminal is actually 80 chars wide, you fool
>     mutt into drawing the rest of the chars "out of the window"...
>     probably.

Well I don't see any COLS variable set, maybe that's the problem.

I use scripts to change from 80 to 132 mode, but all those do is use
vidcontrol to change the size from 80x25 to 132x43. (and set some
colors.  Font defaults are set in rc.conf.)

--
Philip J. Koenig                                       pjklist@ekahuna.com
Electric Kahuna Systems -- Computers & Communications for the New Millenium