Date:      Sun, 31 Aug 1997 19:42:23 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Wes Peters <softweyr@xmission.com>
To:        Thomas Dean <tomdean@ix.netcom.com>, Stephen Milley <smilley@waterw.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Compiler

Thomas Dean writes:
 > There are a couple of concepts that you need to get straight.
 >
 > FreeBSD is an Operating System.  It does not have "built-in" things
 > like a compiler or assembler.

If you are new to UNIX, this may not seem like an important distinction,
but trust me, it is.  Once you are no longer new to UNIX, you'll
understand why.  ;^)

As Mr. Dean said, the compiler and assembler shipped with FreeBSD, along
with most of the software development tools, are the GNU tools from the
Free Software Foundation.  For more information, see www.fsf.org or the
gnu.* newsgroups.

For examples of source code and Makefiles that work with FreeBSD and the
GNU tools, type the following on your FreeBSD system:

	find /usr/src \( -name '*.c' -o -name '*.cc' -o -name '*.s' \) -print

This should list several hundred files (at least) that work quite nicely
with FreeBSD and the GNU compiler and assembler.