Date:      Wed, 31 May 2000 18:48:23 -0600
From:      "Chris Wasser" <cwasser@v-wave.com>
To:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Multiple LPT ports under 4.0-S

I've gone through older mailing list archives, and it seems I'm not to first one to ask this. Earlier today I tried getting a
4.0-STABLE box to recognize 3 LPT ports, one onboard and 2 lava isa cards:

lpt0: io 378 / irq 7 [onboard] - ECP mode
lpt1: io 278 / irq 5 [lava isa parallel card] - ECP mode (bidirectional jumper on the card)
lpt2: io 3bc / irq 7 [lava isa parallel card] - ECP mode (bidirectional jumper on the card)

Now anyone from the 'ol DOS days know this combo works, and I figured it'd work under BSD as well, and was quite surprised
to find it didn't. Here's my relevant config:

device          ppc0    at isa? irq 7
device          ppc1    at isa? irq 5
device          ppc2    at isa? irq 7
device          ppbus
device          lpt

Unfortunately, these lava cards do not allow any other irq other then 5 and 7. Nevertheless, plain 'ol DOS seems them just fine
and uses them without a hitch (not win-dos, msdos6.22)

Recompiled, and rebooted. BSD saw lpt0 and lpt1 but refused to see lpt2 erroring out with "cannot reserve i/o space". So I hit
the manpage for lpt(4) and ppbus(4) and ppc(4) and read up on configuring the devices. So I tried setting them to BIOS
probed ports:

device          ppc0     at isa? port? irq 7
device          ppc1     at isa? port? irq 5
device          ppc2     at isa? port? irq 7

That didn't work, and reported the same error message, except this time I lost lpt0 in the process as well. So I headed back to
the manpages and decided to try polled ports (as I have to use lpt ports as polled devices via lptcontrol(8) otherwise they print
really, really, really slowly. Had the same problem under Linux as well many moons ago.. Anyways...) so I tried:

device          ppc0      at isa? port IO_LPT1 irq 7
device          ppc1      at isa? port IO_LPT2 irq 5
device          ppc2      at isa? port IO_LPT3 irq 7

This also didn't work, and produced the same results as my first example. All three devices were created in /dev so that wasn't
the issue. I then went back to the mailing list archives and tried an example from 3.x releases (which to my understanding with
the nlpt device works just fine)

device          ppbus0
device          ppbus1
device          ppbus2
device          lpt0      at ppbus0
device          lpt1      at ppbus1
device          lpt2      at ppbus2
device          ppc0    at isa? port IO_LPT1 tty irq 7
device          ppc1    at isa? port IO_LPT2 tty irq 5
device          ppc2    at isa? port IO_LPT3 tty irq 7

This didn't work either. The lpt devices moved up one device number, lpt0 became lpt1, etc. I simply got frustrated and
decided to give the mailing list a shot. I'm really surprised this isn't working, but I figured I must be missing something
here, so if someone can clue me in, I'd be really grateful.