Date:      Mon, 2 Mar 1998 09:06:22 +0100
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>
To:        Sue Bauer-Lee <sblee@eeyore.taz.tac.com>, Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bulding new versions

On Sun, Mar 01, 1998 at 04:11:31PM -0500, Sue Bauer-Lee wrote:
> Folks -
>
> I appreciate all the responses but we're not getting my problems solved.
>
> 1) I am unable to install autoconf. I shouldn't have to run sysinsyall for
>    one package. m4 is installed. by what method?
>    make DISTDIR=/tmp install
>    Tried to install autoconf the same way. It can't find m4. Both were
>    manually retrieved from the site that fetch expected to be able to get
>    them from  - prep.mit.....

You've never given us an error log, which means we must just guess.  And we
actually can't even do good guesses, as you're the only person that even
have _access_ to the information required, including _exactly_ _what_ _you_
_are_ _doing_.

Please report with exact error log, an ls -l /var/db/pkg, a shell-script
that reproduce the error, and an uname -a to show which FreeBSD version
you're running.  If you have any fancy changes to your FreeBSD system (you
rewrote half the kernel, you say? ;-) then include a description of them,
too.

> 2) I am unable to build (independent from ports stuff) a newer version of
>    XFCE.

This is certainly feasible, if you know your way around a Unix system.  If
you don't, it's not.

Apart from that, you should report outdated ports, so we can update them.
Please include where to get the new distfile.

> Linux doesn't force me to use rpm, Solaris doesn't force me to use
>    pkgadd - you get the point.

FreeBSD doesn't force you to use pkg_add or ports, either.  It's just so
much more convenient.

> I would like an easier alternative to adding packages to FreeBsd.

'An easier alternative'?  Than either of (1) selecting a package from a
menu, and (2) cd /usr/ports/x11/xfce && make install ?

I can't see any way it can be easier, sorry.

If what you mean is that you'd like the configure-scripts for XFCE to work,
then complain to the author.  His autoconf-script doesn't probe deep enough.
Not arranging the installed things in FreeBSD properly is not an option; it
would generate _tons_ of conflicts.

> It has taken quite some time to set up a productive env compared to
> previously mentioned OSs.

This is probably because you insist on pretending to be using the previously
mentioned OSes.

> Based on security testing needs, and desire, I'd
> like to not be convinced to replace FreeBSD with either Linux or Solaris
> x86 (both of which I also use everyday).

"Threats" won't get you anywhere.

> PLease let's not miss the main points here..

Which might be what?  That you feel like complaining without enough
information to solve your problem, and become resentful when you get
information that might be pertient to you understanding how to solve this
general class of problems, or why they might not be solvable?

The main points here is that this is _volunteer time_, and we _actually_
_try_ _to_ _help_ _you_.  Whining that the help "isn't good enough" without
_volunteering more information isn't going to get you anywhere - we give as
_good help as we can, based on the amount of inforamtion people give.

Eivind.