Date:      Sun, 25 Feb 2001 14:36:17 -0500 (EST)
From:      Adam <bsdx@looksharp.net>
To:        Jim Edwards <smackme@hardwaregroup.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: CVSup and everything that goes with it

On Sun, 25 Feb 2001, Jim Edwards wrote:

>I have been having a heck of a time getting up to speed with FreeBSD. I ma
>replacing a RH 5.2 internet server with a new system. A friend turned me on
>to FreeBSD. I'm sort of glad after seeing the results of a RH7 install. But

Wow finally ;)

>time is not in my side. I am to ship this box tomorrow. I must have
>installed 4.2 release a good dozen times by now trying to get a nice clean
>up to date basic install. I have learned a tremendous amount about bsd already.
>
>My problem is with the time restraints I have to try and reduce the
>learning curve via rtfm and scouring the FreeBSD list(s) archive. So I come
>to you guys direct. :)
>
>I found this in the archives. It seams like the most straight forward
>install and update procedure I have ever seen. I do have some questions
>about it though. I will be using some of the text in line below the link.
>
>http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=782815+0+archive/2001/freebsd-stable/20010211.freebsd-stable
>
>I do belive it orginated from "From: "Jim Levie"
><jim@chaos.entrophy-free.net> "
>If not, sorry. I am hoping that the original author can supply some of the
>answers.
>
>Quote:
>>It may not be the most ideal, but I have the following in my supfile: kept
>>in the directory, /usr/local/etc/cvsup
>>....................................... #*default host=cvsup6.FreeBSD.org
>and this...
>>I keep my cvsup and release file in /usr/sup and run the cvsup with
>>"cvsup /usr/sup/supfile".
>(do we mean refuse and not release?)
>So which is it? /usr/local/etc/cvsup or /usr/sup Or is it both?
>
>Quote:
>>My /etc/make.conf looks like:
>>
>>USA_RESIDENT=YES
>
>make.conf? Is this something I can create to assist "make"? I have yet to
>see this in any of the fubar installs and it isn't in this last one.

In recent versions of FreeBSD a couple files have default values in
/etc/defaults, make.conf is one of them, basically you create your own
copy in /etc with only the values you need to change.  Also dont worry
about USA_RESIDENT, that is not needed anymore..

>Kernel stuff...
>
>The initial install... This is without SMP correct? In other words, I will
>need to recompile for SMP. The box is a dual PII 450.

Yes.  To get SMP working, you just need to uncomment two lines in the
kernel config and recompile it, but you can customize the rest of the
config file while you are at it.  Usually just commenting out cpu's you
dont have, the dozen or so isa network cards you dont have in the machine,
the dozen or so pci network drivers you dont have in, the dozen or so for
scsi, etc.  If you have the computer within easy access, just take a stab
at compiling it, if you make some sort of mistake on dependancies it
probably wont compile and you'll know it.  If you miss something that isnt
needed to compile (like HD driver, or vga, etc) you will find out pretty
quickly when you try to boot that kernel and can fall back on /kernel.old
If you dont have easy access to the machine, feel free to fwd me a copy of
your attempt at making a kernel config file as well as a copy of generic
and ill make any needed suggestions..

>Quote from link above again.
>>Once you have everything cvsup'd, you use what you've gotten by:
>>
>># cd /usr/src
>># make buildworld
>># make installworld
>># make buildkernel KERNEL=MY_KERNEL
>># make installkernel KERNEL=MY_KERNEL
>>
>>If you haven't built a custom kernel on your current installation you can
>>replace MY_KERNEL with GENERIC. If you have a custom kernel config,
>>check to make sure that what you have in your kernel config file is still
>>valid by looking at GENERIC and/or LINT.
>
>So what is be best approach to doing a custom kernel? (I have zero
>experience here)
>Should I do the install then custom kernel (enabling SMP I hope to get this
>done faster) then follow the contents of the link? Or should I follow the
>text in the link then do a custom kernel?

I suggest:
(if cvsup is not already installed, pkg_add -r cvsup-bin will fetch it
from the net)
rehash (reload the list of binaries in the path if you are using csh or
tcsh, dont worry if this command doesn't work as long as cvsup does)
cvsup /usr/share/examples/cvsup/stable-supfile -g -Pm
cd /sys/i386/conf
cp GENERIC MY_KERNEL
edit the hell out of MY_KERNEL, remembering to change the ident line near
the top so it doesnt say GENERIC when booted
cd /usr/src
make buildworld
make buildkernel KERNCONF=MY_KERNEL (I like to build both first, this way
you dont waste time installing half a system to find out part wont
compile)
make installkernel
make installworld
mergemaster -svi (just look through what changes it suggests, use i to
install an updated file if you want all the changes, d to ignore the new
file, like the password files, you probably dont want a fresh password
file)
shutdown -r now

If this all works and you want to update in the future, repeat the cvsup,
read /usr/src/UPDATING, then do the four makes at the end, mergemaster,
and reboot.