Date:      Tue, 23 Jan 1996 12:16:10 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        FreeBSD-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   recent diffs

A couple of times recently, there have been suggestions made that I make
manual changes to my sources, to get past problems with the lib makefile
and with threading.  Doing that works nicely for folks running sup, but
for us running ctm, getting out of sync with the CVS tree, even by one
byte, means that ctm breaks without hope of repair, and an entire new
source tree has to be downloaded.  Since many of us are connected through
hosts that make it difficult to download 30 meg chunks, this means going
out and begging for ftp space.  Distasteful.

Because of this, I (at least, and probably others too) am not terribly
willing to make manual changes to my source tree.  I usually cultivate
patience, and wait for the fixes to come down through commits.  If things
are broken, and commits don't fix it, it surely does put part of the
users in a bad position.

This hasn't happened before, and I don't think it's likely to happen
again, but maybe it's something to keep in mind, when fixing things that
have gone bonkers; posting a diff isn't enough.

Chuck Robey chuckr@eng.umd.edu -- I run FreeBSD on n3lxx and Journey2
The Dilbert Zone is Dilbert's new WWW home! The area
features never-before-seen original sketches of Dilbert, a photo tour
of Scott Adams' studio, Dilbert Trivia and memorabilia, high
school photos and much more!:
<URL:http://www.unitedmedia.com/comics/dilbert/>;