Date:      Fri, 28 Nov 1997 11:53:34 -0500
From:      Perry Barstad <104150.342@compuserve.com>
To:        "'FreeBSD Questions'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   FreeBSD 2.1.5 Help me w/X Windows

Help Me with---

        X Windows               X Windows               X Windows
X Windows               X Windows

I purchased FreeBSD 2.1.5 on CD-ROM from Walnut Creek CDROM a year ago.  My
goal was to have an OS system on my 486 system that would provide as an
Internet Browser (i.e. Netscape) and also experience some of the UNIX
FreeBSD X Window System.

Currently I have a 240 MB partition, I can make the Boot.Flp and then go to
View and run Novice Install.  I delete the FAT partition and the Create
FreeBSD and set as Active/Boot Partition.  I select AUTO config on
specifing my disk labels and sizes for FreeBSD.

Which ?  How can I view my slices statistic (whether mounted or not).

I then install distributions X-User (which includes User & X-User).  I
select NO to all the prompts of networking, ftp, etc.  I reboot the OS and
trying to move around and view any directory structure is no good.

Simple put, I can't change directory, am I right with the auto selection of
setting up the slices did the mounting of these slices

I can only log-on as root, and one user I created. When I sign on as root
my prompt looks like this MYNAME#, how can I change this, or what is this
telling me.  I am aware of the SuperUser (SU).  What about the $ prompt,
what is this telling me.

When I setup a user what shell should I use?  The default is [sh].  Were is
there more info on these shells, do I need to know this?  Is [bash] the
shell of choice.

I have tried using the MAN pages for startx, etc.

I'm lost with a headache--

I can't give up on FreeBSD, any helpful hints and/or where I can get some
info on "How to be the Novice User in FreeBSD" would be a Greatful.   :-)

Please E-Mail at following, don't reply to this message

PBarstad@worldnet.att.net