Date:      Tue, 03 Jul 2001 23:44:56 -0600
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        jgrosch@mooseriver.com, James Howard <howardjp@Glue.umd.edu>
Cc:        Greg Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.ORG>, Michael Lucas <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org>, Nik Clayton <nik@FreeBSD.ORG>, Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>, Jonathan Slivko <js43064n@pace.edu>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD spokesman (was: So what happens to FreeBSD now?)

At 03:45 PM 7/3/2001, Josef Grosch wrote:

>Has anyone ever seen a serious legal opinion on the
>various licenses?

Yes, actually, I have. But the arguments were poor and did not address
the many serious ways in which the GPL violates essential principles
of contract law.

My personal opinion is that the GPL is an unconscionable meta-contract
and is therefore unenforceable, but of course you never know how a judge
will rule.

>Never mind what spin Brett Glass, microsoft, Stallman,
>Eric Raymond, et al has to say. They all have an ax to grid.

Actually, I'm the only one on that list who has developed his own
opinion without having an axe to grind. One of the reasons that I'm
here is BECAUSE I believe that the GPL is unethical, not the other
way around.

>Bretts positions are very interesting but as a practical matter they are
>useless and only divide us.

I think that they're useful because they make the case for the BSD
philosophy and BSD-style licensing.

--Brett Glass