Date:      Tue, 05 Nov 2002 23:17:39 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: max phy mem known working with FreeBSD 4.x

"M. Warner Losh" wrote:
> In message: <3DC8B2B8.C3A61C99@mindspring.com>
>             Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com> writes:
> : The CDROM and a full set of the specifications will run you US$1500,
> : plus US$15 shipping in the US, or US$40 shipping, international.
> :
> : The price goes from $1500 to $75, if you can order through a company
> : which is already a member of the PCI SIG.
>
> The cdrom was $50 when I ordered it with only the PCI 2.2 spec on
> paper.  Now that 3.0 is out, looks like they have jacked up the price
> again.  Looks like it costs a lot more now.  The mindshare PCI book
> has a good explaination.

I paid $150 in the 2.x era, but I got the full boxed set, with
the PCI-PCI bridge specifications, etc..

I think the thing that's bloating it now is that they have the
PCI-X and some other stuff that no one will really use much.  I've
already spent a little over 2 feet of shelf space, just in Microsoft
MSDN CDROM's and Windows SDK's and DDK's (~300 CDROMs).  I expect
the printed versions of the PCI specifications would probably come
in around a foot now, if they are hard bound, when before they were
around 4 inches wide.

I've noticed that most people who sell standards sell them cheap to
start, and then jump the price up after they get adopted as standards,
thinking they have a captive market.

One I can recommend is the ECMA standards CDROM; the ECMA people seem
to actually be interested in people complying with their standards,
so there was no cost for the CDROM, as long as you have a business
address to get it sent to...

As far as PCI goes (or anything they publish, for that matter), the
MindShare books are very, very good.  But for the particular question
of how much physical address space is eaten, you really have to go to
the chipset spec. sheets to get the right answer these days.  8-(.

-- Terry