Date:      Sat, 11 Jan 2003 16:56:20 -0800 (PST)
From:      "James J. Ramsey" <jjramsey_6x9eq42@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-bugs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Semirandom bug in FreeBSD's ATA querying

Background:

I had bee trying to switch from Linux to FreeBSD;
however, the last time I tried, FreeBSD couldn't get
the disk geometry correct; the cylinder count from
FreeBSD was wildly inflated and inconsistent from
install attempt to install attempt. This was for
version 4.5 of FreeBSD. When I posted to
comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc asking if FreeBSD 4.7 had
the same problem, someone suggested that I attempt an
install from boot floppies, and if there is still a
problem, abort before committing to the install. Ever
since then, I've been experimenting with the boot
floppies, trying to see if I could find ways of either
making the problem disappear or diagnosing it.

Current problem:

Almost every time I attempt to install FreeBSD, it
complains that the disk geometry is bad, reporting a
wildly inflated cylinder count that changes from
install attempt to install attempt. A few times,
FreeBSD reads the cylinder count correctly, but upon
the next install attempt, the inflated count is back.
There appears to be no consistent condition that
allows FreeBSD to read the geometry correctly. This
has been true for FreeBSD versions 4.5, 4.7, and
5.0-RC2

I have been repeated told that this is a hardware
problem. I disagree for two reasons:

1) The problem has never occured under Linux, Windows,
or an OpenBSD 3.1 snapshot (although the last one had
other problems).

2) The kernel messages from Linux indicate that it is
correctly querying the hard drive. Here's what I mean.
The following kernel message is from a FreeBSD
install. I captured it by pressing Scroll Lock and
pressing the Page Up key to get to the text:

ad0: 8866663634010175MB
<?U}O|U}!~IEzA~M~!|M~1.5?!?!~!~!?!?!~!?!>
[16955114026566160/17/63] at ata0-master PIO4

The garbage between the angle brackets should be the
name of the hard drive, "QUANTUM FIREBALLP". Compare
this with the kernel message from Linux:

hda: QUANTUM FIREBALLP LM20.5, ATA DISK drive

The name of the disk drive is reported correctly.

Considering that the disk drive name only comes as a
result of a particular ATA command, it is clear that
Linux is reading the results of the command correctly.
It is simply doing something correctly that FreeBSD is
not. That is not indicative of a hidden hardware bug.

This is a problem at FreeBSD's end.