Date:      Thu, 2 Sep 1999 14:04:49 -0400
From:      Christopher Michaels <ChrisMic@clientlogic.com>
To:        "FreeBSD Questions (E-mail)" <questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   IDE drive size mis-reported on startup, should I be worried?

Hello, hopefully this isn't too much background.

I have 4 IDE drives on my system.
wd0 - 6.4GB Seagate
wd1 - ATAPI CD-ROM
wd2 - 5.0 GB Fujitsu
wd3 - 10.2 GB Western Digital

The 3 drives are concatenated via vinum and are performing flawlessly.  I
noticed a couple days ago that on startup the 6.4 gb drive (wd0) is only
being reported as 1888MB instead of the 6.4gb.  Now the drive is actually
working fine, and the vinum volume was configured when it was reporting
drive space correctly on startup.  I genuinely cannot tell you when it
started reporting things improperly as I didn't have a monitor on the
machine and didn't look at dmesg output that often.

I am running FreeBSD 3.2-STABLE (as of a month or so ago, don't remember the
exact date).  My kernel was rebuilt yesterday using Monday's sources.  This
was noticed before the kernel rebuild.

Doesn't anyone have any idea why it would be mis-reporting the drive size?
Is this something I should worry about, even though it's working properly?

I would like to have this resolved either way, so I don't get stuck if I
ever have to re-partition the drive.

Thanks for any help,
-Chris

P.S.  Keep in mind that BIOS parms haven't changed between when it did and
didn't work.  Also, I do have a monitor on the machine now, if there is
something I need to see on bootup.