Date:      Tue, 6 Nov 2001 17:06:39 +0100 (CET)
From:      =?iso-8859-1?q?m=20p?= <sumirati@yahoo.de>
To:        anthony@atkielski.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Still trying to use FreeBSD as a gateway for PPTP to DSL

Anthony Atkielski wrote:

> I still haven't figured out what is wrong in my attempts to use my FreeBSD
box
> as a gateway to the Net via a PPTP connection to my DSL provider.  Everything
> works just fine from the FreeBSD machine itself after I start up pptp, but
all
> my attempts to get to the outside world from the Windows NT machine via the
> FreeBSD machine fail.  A ping addressed to the outside world, for example,
from
> the Windows machine will either timeout or show destination unreachable.  I
can
> fix the latter by defining a default routing through the FreeBSD machine, but
> the traffic still doesn't get actually get through, and I still get timeouts.
> What am I doing wrong?
>
> Surely I'm not the first person in the world to do this?
>
> I can't find anything anywhere on the Web that seems to describe how to set
this
> up.

Hi Anthony,

i don't know anything about PPTP, but if it works for your FreeBSD machine i
see no reason why it should not work over the net.

First question: Can you ping the outside interface of your FreeBSD system?

IF you can ping the outside interface (or the outside alias) of your FreeBSD
system the problem seems to be related to PPTP. I can not help you then.

If not: Have you modified your /etc/rc.conf so it shows the following line
gateway_enabled="YES" ?
Set it and reboot (or read on).

With that option you set the system control
net.inet.ip.forwarding from 0 to 1 allowing your system to act as a gateway.
Take a look at it with 'sysctl -a |grep forwarding' (You can manually set it
with sysctl net.inet.ip.forwarding=1).

IF that is set already, next question:
Do you had compiled "options IP_FIREWALL" in your custom kernel? The default
rule for ipfw (the userland interface to the FreeBSD native firewall) is "deny
all". Add another rule ('man ipfw' is more helpful here) to allow traffic
between the interfaces and to other networks.

Hope that helps

Marc