Date:      Thu, 1 Jun 2000 10:44:22 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Chris Wasser <cwasser@v-wave.com>
Cc:        Dirk Zoller <duz@onlinehome.de>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: microuptime went backwards on Athlon

> On Wednesday, 31 May 2000 at 18:25:55 -0600, Chris Wasser wrote:

Do you know that your mailer is giving you a line length of up to 134
characters?  It's a pain to read.

> On Thu, 1 Jun 2000 09:44:22 +0930, Greg Lehey wrote:
>
>> On Thursday,  1 June 2000 at 11:00:09 +0200, Dirk Zoller wrote:
>>> yesterday I changed my mainboard/CPU to an EPOX 7KXA and an Athlon 700.
>>> Before I had an K6-2/450 and few problems (at least not the following).
>
> Actually, I think I was one of the first people to mention this
> problem (search through the mailing list archives), and PHK was
> gratious enough to try and help me work it out with little success
> however.  I also talked to Greg on IRC about it as well, and it was
> my understanding it was fixed in 5.0-C

I had this problem with 5-CURRENT.

> .. I've since dumped all my Epox 7KXA's and went with ASUS K7V's, a
> much nicer board. Greg also forwarded me a email which I think he(?)
> sent to Epox detailing the problem and they were less then
> responsive to the suitation with comments like, "It's possible you
> may have received one of the few boards which might have problems,
> but it's extremely unlikely" (badly paraphrased) so they don't seem
> real interested in fixing their broken stuff.

No, that's not correct.  I didn't receive a reply.

> I read elsewhere on this mailing list that the ABIT KA7's have a
> similar problem, perhaps it's the KX133 chipset itself at fault. For
> the time being, I'm sticking with the AMD 750/751 chipsets.

I personally think that we might have a bug in FreeBSD.  The KX133
chipset is interesting because it's so much faster than the Irongate,
and it is possible to get them to work correctly, so I don't see any
reason to dump the motherboard.

Greg
When replying to this message, please take care not to mutilate the
original text.
For more information, see http://www.lemis.com/email.html