Date:      Wed, 24 Oct 2001 04:58:44 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Andrey Simonenko <simon@simon.org.ua>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to enable Netscape plugins in Konqueror in KDE 2.2 ?

Andrey Simonenko <simon@simon.org.ua> types:
> On Tue, 23 Oct 2001, Mike Meyer wrote:
> > Andrey Simonenko <simon@simon.org.ua> types:
> > > Really I need to have Flash5 support in Konqueror (I use FreeBSD 4.4,
> > > X-3.3.6, KDE-2.2). Can anybody help with this?
> > The Netscape plugins only work with Linux binaries. So you need to
> > install the Linux version of Konquerer, meaning you'll need the rest
> > of the KDE libraries that it uses installed in your linux emulation as
> > well.
> It's bad, I still can't understand why some companies can't provide *BSD
> version of their software (Flash5 plugin for example).

Because the easy part of doing software is writing it.

> > I'd suggest just keeping the linux version of Netscape around for when
> > you have to use Flash5.
> Netscape 4.76 and 6.0 has bugs with HTML parsing, with Russian and
> Ukrainian code pages and some others, which it inherited from its original
> versions.

That's why I said "for when you have to use Flash5." Use Konqueror for
everything else. That's the way the web has been since 1993 - no
single browser will correctly handle everything on the web, because
web designers and clues appear to be immiscible.

If you have to have them both at the same time - run the two browsers
side by side.

	<mike
Q: How do you make the gods laugh?		A: Tell them your plans.