Date:      02 Nov 1999 12:16:27 +0200
From:      Ville-Pertti Keinonen <will@iki.fi>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        jkh@zippy.cdrom.com, kris@hub.freebsd.org, security@freebsd.org, ports@freebsd.ort
Subject:   Re: OpenSSH patches

Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk> writes:

> In message <4789.941498013@localhost>, "Jordan K. Hubbard" writes:
>
> >In today's environment, ssh is far more useful than telnet or rlogin,
> >yet we bundle both.
>
> But if we cannot put it on the CD anyway, what is the point of using
> the weaker OpenSSH rather than "the real thing" ?

The latest versions of the real thing have license restrictions.
Versions 1.2.x where x > 15 (IIRC) have a restriction prohibiting
commercial use with no definition of what "commercial use" is.  ssh2
also has this restriction, with a *very* strict definition of
commercial use...

BTW: Why is OpenSSH "weaker"?  I haven't looked at it, but the primary
changes that have occurred between 1.2.15 and 1.2.>20 are bug fixes
and a couple of minor protocol changes, which I understood have been
incorporated into OpenSSH (as long as the changes aren't copied
verbatim from later "official" versions, there should be no copyright
issues).