Date:      Sun, 29 Mar 1998 21:38:17 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Dan <dan@sns.org>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PPP Server Troubleshooting.

On Mon, 16 Feb 1998, Dan wrote:

> Hello. I am trying to set up automatic kernel-mode PPP serving. I have
> followed the documentation closely, but seem to be having problems. My
> setup consists of a FreeBSD 2.2.5 box connected to router via ethernet. In
> the BSD box I have a 33.6k modem. The IP for the router is 207.219.216.1,
> the BSD box is 207.219.216.200 and for the client I have reserved
> 207.219.216.241. I set things up as follows:

My ASCII-Art-Enhanced translation of the above:

 --- World --- [Router] --- Ether- -- [FreeBSD box] -- 33.6 modem ->client
             207.219.216.1           207.219.216.200    207.219.216.241

> 1) Rebuilt the kernel with "options GATEWAY" and "options ARP_PROXALL" added
>    to the config file.

These options are deprecated.  Use `gateway_enable=YES' in /etc/rc.conf
and keyword `proxyarp' in your /etc/ppp/options file.

> 2) Added the following line to my /etc/ttys file:
>    ttyd1   "/usr/sbin/pppd -detach 57600"  unknown on secure

Think that's ok.

> 3) Created /etc/ppp/config with the following options:
>    	crtscts                 #hardware flow-control
> 	domain sns.org	   #domain name
> 	passive                 #wait for LCP
> 	modem                   #modem
> 	proxyarp                # use proxyarp routing
> 	+pap                    # force pap

Looks OK.

> 4) Created /etc/ppp/config.ttyd1 that looks like:
> 	207.219.216.200:207.219.216.241

This should be /etc/ppp/options.ttyd1.

> 	Now for the problems: After connecting, DNS did not function, tried
> pinging hosts on local network. I was only able to ping the box with the
> modem in it (207.219.216.200). I could telnet to this box and then use the
> network
> as usual. I changed the gateway_enabled paramater in rc.conf to YES and
> rebooted.

Okay, good, you caught that.

> I dialed back in and name conversion was working well and I could
> ping a variety of off-site hosts. The problem I am experiencing is that
> connections to sites are very slow and unstable. If I run ping from the BSD
> box to the client, I will get times around 100ms but then every 30 seconds
> or so, the time will jump up to 6000 - 18000 ms.

Welcome to dialup connections :)  This is serial connections for you.
WIthout more details it's impossible to tell whether the remote or local
side are dropping packets, or (more likely) line noise is causing a
retransmit in the modem. Considering the packet is eventually getting
through, the modem is probably recovering from a dropped packet or
interrupted line.  30s delays sounds like call waiting.