Date:      Wed, 26 Aug 1998 00:21:27 -0500
From:      Zach Heilig <zach@gaffaneys.com>
To:        Yoav Cohen-Sivan <ycs@netvision.net.il>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 2.2.7 and user PPP lockups

On Wed, Aug 26, 1998 at 12:45:26AM +0300, Yoav Cohen-Sivan wrote:
> What is more interesting here is that now FreeBSD sees your modem, but
> Win95 doesn't: sounds to me like you have pnp code in the kernel and you
> moved the modem around in userconfig. If this were true it would
> strengthen my hunch that this is pnp related.

It is a supposedly a "PnP" modem, but it is external (wonder how that
works...)  Win95 recognizes the serial port is there (but it would if the
modem was connected or not).  My guess is that DSR is low when Win95 checks,
and it assumes that there is nothing there (DSR defaults to always high).

I haven't checked recently, but I think I may have done:
&K0 (disable compression)
&M0 (disable error correction)

But these would only affect latency (and decrease transfer times slightly for
me, since I almost always transfer already compressed files).

--
Zach Heilig -- zach@gaffaneys.com
Real Programs don't use shared text.  Otherwise, how can they use