Date:      Thu, 1 Jun 2000 11:11:28 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        tom <tomb@cgf.net>
Cc:        darren@profero.com, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: vinum and bad pack magic number

On Wednesday, 31 May 2000 at  9:14:26 -0700, tom wrote:
> OK this is what I did to solve the problem.

Which problem?

> It wasn't obvious from the documentation that the disks too be used
> had to be formatted in any way, it turns out that they need to be
> setup as ffs (freebsd native) disks before they can be used for
> vinum.

This is not correct.  If you do that, you *cannot* use them for Vinum.

> First install the disks and use the /stand/sysinstall utility to create new bsd
> (type 165) filesystems on them using the fdisk feature.  I also checked them by
> mounting the disks once they were formatted.
>
> If you then run disklabel you will see that the disks are build something like
> this::
>
> root@garlic#disklabel /dev/da1s1      8 partitions:

> #        size   offset    fstype   [fsize bsize bps/cpg]
>   c:  8482257        0    unused        0     0         # (Cyl.    0 - 527*)
>   e:  8482257        0     4.2BSD                        # (Cyl.    0 - 527*)
>
> effectivly /dev/da1s1e is now a BSD partition.
>
> now you can use disklabel to change the fstype to be vinum.
>
> #        size   offset    fstype   [fsize bsize bps/cpg]
>   c:  8482257        0    unused        0     0         # (Cyl.    0 - 527*)
>   e:  8482257        0     vinum                        # (Cyl.    0 - 527*)
>
> Once this has been completed build the config (in this case a simple mirror) .

This is completely incorrect.  Sure, you can go through setting any
kind of partition type (swap, System V, whatever), but it won't work.
If you change it to vinum, it will work, but the history of how you
got there makes no difference.

> See Greg's home page for the best examples.
>
> drive a device /dev/da0s1e
> drive b device /dev/da1s1e
>     volume mirror
>       plex org concat
>         sd length 4140m drive a
>       plex org concat
>         sd length 4140m drive b
>
> Finally you will have to tell vinum to start the array, using the "start"
> command.  This appears to be necessary only the first time around.  From then
> on the array will start automatically.

No, that's not correct, you need to start it every time.  Normally
you'll get that done at boot time.

Greg