Date:      Tue, 8 Jan 2002 11:06:15 -0500
From:      "Steve Brown" <freebsd@prayforwind.com>
To:        "Joe & Fhe Barbish" <barbish@a1poweruser.com>
Cc:        "fbsd" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: install package from pre-downloaded tgz file?

Sort of. But if you're trying to install "pkg_A" which depends on "pkg_B",
pkg_add will first check to see if you have "pkg_B" installed. If you have
it, it doesn't need to get it again, otherwise needs "pkg_B"'s .tgz file.

"man pkg_add" shows you the "-t" option which can override the default
"temporary staging area" in /var/tmp/instmp.XXXXXX . This looks like just
what you're after; I've not tried it yet so let me know if it works without
blowing up your system ;-)

Steve