Date:      Fri, 27 Dec 1996 03:48:52 +0000
From:      Adam David <adam@veda.is>
To:        Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
Cc:        asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami), freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: bsd.port.mk on freefall

> Why do you not just do the " make makesum" on your machine before you bring
> the port to Freefall?
>
> > That is a lot of unnecessary work for a 1-line change to the Makefile when
> > the new version has already been tested elsewhere.
>
> Perfect excuse to build the checksum at home, too.

One more file to be transferred during a potentially brief window of
connectivity, and greater complexity of commands to issue in order to
commit a trivial upgrade (requiring changes only to the toplevel Makefile).

Remote cvs is usually sufficient for most purposes, but might be too
heaviweight at times. In the worst conditions, "ctm commit" would be
the answer.

If freefall is to be excluded as a site for fetching distfiles and doing
checksums, might it not be better to explicitly disable or remove bsd.port.mk?
On the other hand for the sake of consistency and least surprise, the file
could be updated to a functional version. The main issue here is one of
manifest policy rather than incidental side-effects of omission. At present
it's use is allowed but fails in unexpected ways. Individual ports may be
expected to fail for version < current, but this is a failure of the ports
system itself which produces misleading errors.

That's probably all I have to say on the subject.

Adam