Date:      Wed, 29 May 2002 04:42:51 -0700
From:      "Philip J. Koenig" <pjklist@ekahuna.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Roman Neuhauser <neuhauser@bellavista.cz>
Subject:   Re: grep and console width

On 29 May 2002, at 12:13, Roman Neuhauser boldly uttered:

> > From: "Philip J. Koenig" <pjklist@ekahuna.com>
> > Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 02:41:46 -0700
> > Subject: Re: grep and console width
> >
> > On 29 May 2002, at 10:34, Roman Neuhauser boldly uttered:

> > >     mutt wraps the text according to your terminal width. if you set
> > >     COLS to 132, but your terminal is actually 80 chars wide, you fool
> > >     mutt into drawing the rest of the chars "out of the window"...
> > >     probably.
> >

> > Well I don't see any COLS variable set, maybe that's the problem.
> >
> > I use scripts to change from 80 to 132 mode, but all those do is use
> > vidcontrol to change the size from 80x25 to 132x43. (and set some
> > colors.  Font defaults are set in rc.conf.)
>
>     it's $COLUMNS, sorry.
>
>     > set | grep -ai colu
>     COLUMNS=80
>
>     but I think I misunderstood what you said. you meant you set your
>     console to the 132x43, which is just fine. :)

No COLUMNS variable either.  FWIW I'm using tcsh on the machine in
question.  Maybe I need to add something to my .cshrc or .login...

(I tried "setenv COLUMNS 80", but it didn't help the situation in
mutt - when I press F1, the text still looks like a mess unless I
change to 132 cols)

Phil

--
Philip J. Koenig                                       pjklist@ekahuna.com
Electric Kahuna Systems -- Computers & Communications for the New Millenium