Date:      Fri, 28 Jul 2000 10:49:35 +0200 (SAST)
From:      fingers <fingers@fingers.co.za>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   tx transmission errors with xl

Hi

I saw a few months ago that if I got errors like these:

Jul 28 10:41:15 fingers /kernel: xl1: tx underrun, increasing tx start
threshold to 600 bytes
Jul 28 10:41:15 fingers /kernel: xl1: tx underrun, increasing tx start
threshold to 600 bytes

I could increase:

#define XL_MIN_FRAMELEN         300

in if_xlreg.h and rebuild kernel. I would have thought that this would
have been fixed by now?

Upping it to 300 seemed to be sufficient, but I've now had to up it to
600.

My question is, is this a "tweak" that I need to do every time after I
rebuild my kernel, or is this a problem with the driver? I've searched
the archives at www.freebsd.org/search and have found many posts in the
lists about this, but no definitive answer. Some blamed it on a cable,
some suggested a device hogging the bus etc.

Regards

--Rob