Date:      Thu, 17 Aug 1995 00:25:20 -0700 (PDT)
From:      agc@uts.amdahl.com (Alistair G. Crooks)
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        chrish@alpha.techspecs.com, ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Postgres95 for FreeBSD

> >     I would like to send the FreeBSD team a port of Postgres95 which two
> > Berkeley grad students are working on. I was able to do the necessary
> > "minor" additions, changes to the code for it to support FreeBSD. Where do
> > I put the tar file and who do I contact? I mailed a similar request to you
> > a week or two ago but you must have been too busy to reply. If you aren't
> > the right person, would you please direct to someone who will help, thanks.
>
> It must have been lost somewhere since I know I would have expressed
> an interest if I'd seen such a thing - we've wanted a postgres port
> for some time!
>
> If you can put the diffs necessary for FreeBSD along with a URL to the
> original sources, we can integrate this into /usr/ports/databases so
> that people can easily find it.

As of Postgres95 beta 0.02, using the NetBSD portname, and as of
Postgres95 beta 0.03 using the bsd44_derived portname, there is
already support for FreeBSD.  I have seen mail from people that they
have Postgres95 working on FreeBSD, although the FreeBSD version
numbers were unknown.  It will also run, out of the box, on
NetBSD/i386 and NetBSD/sparc, as well as BSD/OS 2.0, with a little
massaging to handle their dld functions, as opposed to the dl_*.

The site for Postgres95 is:

	ftp://s2k-ftp.cs.berkeley.edu/pub/postgres95

I've exchanged mail with two people, who for the moment shall remain
nameless, who said that they would try pg95 beta 0.03 on FreeBSD, and
I have yet to hear back from them.

But there again, I'm still waiting to hear back from Jordan when I
mailed him in February, asking him if he wanted to meet up for a meal.

:-)

Alistair

PS. Note that version 2.5.2 of flex is needed to make pg95, as is GNU make.
--
Alistair G. Crooks (agc@uts.amdahl.com)                	   +44 125 234 6377
Amdahl European HQ, Dogmersfield Park, Hartley Wintney, Hants RG27 8TE, UK.