Date:      Mon, 20 Nov 2000 10:14:43 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Sam Zamarripa <samz@oz.net>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Dedicated disks (was: Dangerously Dedicated)

On Sunday, 19 November 2000 at 15:42:05 -0800, Mike Smith wrote:
>> On Sunday, 19 November 2000 at 14:33:17 -0800, Sam Zamarripa wrote:
>>> I have been using DD since I first starting followin stable in the 3.0 days
>>> with no problems. When and if DD is taken out, do all of us with DD disks be
>>> required to reformat our drives? This would be a real big
>>> pain if so. Thanks.
>>
>> As far as I know, there has been no decision to remove dedicated mode.
>
> The ability to create "dangerously dedicated" layouts will be
> removed.

OK, just leave the dedicated disks.

Seriously, we haven't discussed this enough.  You've put forward
arguments, but I don't buy them.

>> I for one would strongly oppose it.  Arguments about bootstraps and
>> BIOS are bogus: on a dedicated machine, you only need a bootstrap on
>> the boot disk, so any additional disks can always be dedicated.
>
> This is incorrect, as has been discussed previously.  The mere
> presence of a disk with a corrupt slice table is enough to cause a
> number of common components to fail.

>> But to answer your question: if you have to change from dedicated
>> to a Microsoft compatible layout, yes, you'll have to rebuild all
>> your file systems.
>
> This is entirely incorrect, and makes an unwarranted assumption of
> massive stupidity on the part of the responsible developers.
>
> The ability to deal with disks with "dangerously dedicated" layouts
> is unlikely to be removed at any forseeable point.

That's good to hear.

> This is such an obvious point

Not at all.  Nothing is obvious.  For example, I can't see a good
reason to remove the ability to create dedicated disks in the first
place.  What do we plan to do on architectures which don't support
Microsoft partition tables?  So why should it be obvious that support
for such disks shouldn't be removed?

Anyway, you're not describing the situation I was referring to.  How
are you going to change from dedicated to Microsoft compatible without
rebuilding file systems?

> that spreading FUD about it really calls into doubt your true
> motives here.

If there's any FUD here, it's coming from the suggestion that
functional and useful features should be removed.

Greg