Date:      Wed, 16 Oct 2002 10:34:18 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@clunix.cl.msu.edu>
To:        jmd17@columbia.edu
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: using an extended partition for freebsd

> Hi everyone:
>
> I am installing 4.7-REL on a PC with one PRIMARY and one EXTENDED partition.
>   The PRIMARY
> partition is FAT and I have W98 there.  I want to use the EXTENED partition
> (the WHOLE partition -
> there is currently nothing there) for FreeBSD but I read that FreeBSD needs
> to be installed into
> a PRIMARY partition.

Right.   An extended partition is something MS came up with to get around
some historical narrow thinking.   FreeBSD doesn't need that.
It just needs slices (which are called partitions by Microsloth).

> SYSINSTALL's FDISK program has an option ("Change Type") that lets me change
> the EXTENDED
> partition to FreeBSD, but I don't know if it is changing the partition to
> PRIMARY or just making a
> cosmetic Label change.  And if it is making the change, will the BIOS
> recognize it (will anything
> break)

Well, it really all is just label stuff.  I don't know if I would
strictly call it cosmetic.

> Will SYSINSTALL's FDISK program do what I need it to do?  If not, what tool
> can I use to change
> the EXTENDED partition to a PRIMARY partition?

If you let fdisk turn the space in to a FreeBSD slice, then it is a slice.
If it is a slice then you can install FreeBSD on it (providing it is
big enough).   You will need to let it install the boot manager to
be able to dual boot.

////jerry