Date:      Thu, 25 Nov 1999 20:05:02 -0700
From:      "J.C. Frazier" <wolfman@csocs.com>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Problems with apache, frontpage, and vhosts

I am running FreeBSD 3.3-stable, apache+php+mod_ssl-1.3.9+3.0.12+2.4.8,
and frontpage extensions version 4.0 (not the module).  It was set up
exactly as specified at www.freebsdzine.org in their FP article, if
you'd like full details on the setup.  Two days ago this system was
broken into.  Someone got in through frontpage and changed the account
password.  After a lot of investigating and testing I found that my
vhosts listed in apache.conf aren't abiding by the default settings for
<Directory>'s in the file.  Hence no overrides and my .htaccess files
are being ignored, leaving me wide open.  I am running a mixed named/ip
based vhost system (8 named based hosts on one IP and 2 named based
hosts on another IP).  Because my .htaccess files aren't being read, the
FP extensions aren't working correctly either.  When a customer tries to
GET, POST, etc...it won't accept any passwords.  My log files give no
clues to what is wrong other then a password mismatch on those
functions, even though the passwords have been checked and rechecked and
are correct.  So for now I have uninstalled the frontpage extensions all
together temporarily because of the security implecations until I can
find out how to solve these problems.  I've searched the mailing lists
and read the apache documentation site and can't find any other instance
of this type of incident happening or any corrective actions.  I've
tried a few different versions of apache including 1.3.3 and 1.3.6-php,
both with the same results.  frontpage extensions version 3.0 also gave
the same results.  Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you for your time.

J.C. Frazier