Date:      Tue, 6 Mar 2001 19:42:20 -0800
From:      "Robert L Sowders" <rsowders@usgs.gov>
To:        Barry Irwin <bvi@devco.net>
Cc:        Gan Starling <MisteraSturno@worldnet.att.net>, owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Can you recommend...

Winmodems are not supported, better to get a system without builtin modems
are network cards.
Have a look at
http://www.cse.ucsc.edu/~dkulp/fbsd/laptop.html
Also have a look at
http://www.linux-notebook.org/laptops/
Because if you can get linux to work on it FreeBSD should not be too hard.

Barry Irwin <bvi@devco.net>
Sent by: owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
03/04/2001 10:10 PM

        To:     Gan Starling <MisteraSturno@worldnet.att.net>
        cc:     questions@FreeBSD.org

On Sun 2001-03-04 (16:38), Gan Starling wrote:
> Can you recommend a short list, by MAKE & MODEL of off-the-shelf
> low-to-mid priced LAPTOP computers from any internet or
> bricks-and-mortar source? Vendors like Gateway have contracts with
> Microsoft and won't admit of anything Unix-ish.
>
> I wish to first buy a supported laptop and then install FreeBSD on it.
>
> I have the list of supported devices, but I don't trust the sales staff
> of any store...for good and sufficient reason based upon sad past
> experience.

I have just got an HP Omnibook xe3 2116, which I'm quite happy with, the
nic
is supported in the later 4.2-Stable sources, and there is a patch
available
for the soundcard. X works fine, although took a little tweeking. Only
thing
I have not got going is the Onboard winmodem.  This is apparently the same
hardware as the 2306 currently advertised on the HP site.

Barry

--
ANSI Std Disclaimer