Date:      Thu, 28 Sep 2000 13:31:46 +0400
From:      "Artem Koutchine" <matrix@ipform.ru>
To:        <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Berkeley DB

I have a wird problem with Berkley DB and i think it is releated to FreeBSD.
So, I have DB_File perl module which uses DB. One script creates DB and
another read it. Everything fine, until that file is not created on Linux
machine.
If DB file is created on the linux machine it cannot be read by the script
on FreeBSD.

I thought that version were incompatible and desided to figure out what
version
i have and it fugures i cannot tell easily, because there is no libdb files
at all.
So, i said, heck with it, and install 2.7.7 from the ports and the newest
availabe
DB_File.pm from CPAN. Now, when i do perl Makefile.PL it says that it cannot
find library for -ldb option. But still, it builds and tests, but still the
same problem:
files create on linux (bdb 2.7.0 and libdb present, slakware) cannot be read
on FreeBSD.

I think this is because BDB is statically link to some other library and
that version
of BDB is old. I tried ln -s libdb2.a libdb.a  - didn't help.

What's the deal with BDB?